Saturday, February 18, 2006

1 year 6 months with him

Yes, God loves me, this I know. But when it comes to Valentine's Day, me and God have never seen eye to eye. While God supports love, I'm ever derisive of the flowers that cost too much and the candy that is in heart shaped boxes and the red and pink aisles that magically appear after Christmas/New Year's Day (which is one holiday now).

I used to have Anti-Valentine's Day parties, where I would cook all day to make sure that there was too much garlic in my famous artichoke-spinach dip (and plenty of cheese - I am still me after all) and cookies that had discouraging love messages and we would watch movies that showed you what love could be about. Like What Lies Beneath.

Then, last year, I realized something really important. My half year wedding celebration occurred 6 months after my Aug. 14 wedding. On Feb. 14. On Valentine's Day. I know God got a good laugh out of this. I wonder if he's been planning it since the foundation of the world, which would be funny, and almost as rewarding as when He planned my salvation. Almost. I kinda had to give God credit, cause he got me then. I now have to celebrate V-Day to some extent. The head baker remembers my half year celebration because of my immense hatred of Valentine's Day. My husband still laughs at me because I don't want flowers for that day. But he was sweet. He gave me an iPod with video as a gift. I wanted one. I've been begging for one. We sold my mini to get me one. And now I have it. It was the best Valentine's Day gift I've ever gotten. But I got it the Sunday before V-Day. Which made me especially happy.

At 3am after V-Day had slowly died it's death and it was the 15th, my husband pulled me close to him and asked me if it was really okay that he didn't get me anything for V-Day. I said, of course. I don't need no stinkin' roses to let me know you love me. He smiled as only a guy who had been let off the hook by the woman he most loved in the world would. Now, don't be fooled. I'm high maintenance. I want to go on a cruise for our 2 year anniversary. I just don't need anything for V-Day.

But I really love my iPod.

No comments: