Thursday, November 03, 2005

NaNoWriMo

Well, I'm doing it again this year. Trying to write 50,000 words in a month. I'm already behind on my word count and wasting more time by telling you about it. That's okay. I had 631 words when I sat down to write at 2:30am and now I have almost 4000 words, which catches me up for Nov. 2, but puts me 2000 words back for today. Ah well.

Last night, The Honey asked me what I was writing about. I said, "Me. I think that's what all writers do, no matter their characters and situation, it's really just a story about the writer." "When are you going to write about me?" he asked. "You'll be in the story, but the main character is me." "Screw that! I want to be a main character." So he storms off to the computer room. I get up to follow him. He opens his word processor and starts typing: I wanted a story where I was the main character. I thought this would be easy when you're married to a writer, but I guess I was wrong. So I have to write a story about me my own damn self.

As he's writing, he looks back at me. "So, what do I win if I write 50,000 words?" "I don't know." "Who won last year?" he asks. "Everyone who wrote 50,000 words," I say. "What? everybody won?" "Everybody that wrote their 50,000 words." "That's how you treat children! If I don't get something, I'm not doing it." "You get the satisfaction of finishing a big project in a short period of time. That is a prize for a writer." He shakes his head and turns back to the computer. I laugh and go back to procrastinating. He comes out a few minutes later and sadly says, "I'm not doing it anymore. I just wanted to let you know that you were safe."

I love my husband.


3 comments:

This Girl said...

dang! what have I done to that pencil??

Anonymous said...

They say you should write what you know. What do you know better than you?

Anonymous said...

The Pencil's not your fault.