Tuesday, January 03, 2006

My Birthday

Yes, I am officially 30 years old. Let me tell you about all the wonderful things that happened on my birthday.

At midnight, The Honey came in to wish me a happy birthday. I explained to him that I wasn't born until 12:45pm, so we had another 12 hours to go before he could say happy birthday. He said my birthday was Jan. 2 and it started at midnight with hugs and kisses. I appreciated the hugs and kisses, but I still felt 30. I did some cleaning, straightening up, finally putting our new sheets on the bed. Then my husband picked out a movie he knew I would like and sat and watched it with me. Now, usually if he knows I will like a movie, he knows for a fact that he will not, so making this sacrifice for me, watching a movie he would loathe without saying a word... well, without saying many, many words anyway... showed me that he really wanted my happiness and to spend time with me doing something I would enjoy. This was at about 3am. We go to sleep and when we wake up, he wishes me a happy birthday. I don't feel well, but I didn't ask for the day off, partly because I'd forgotten, partly because I didn't know if I wanted to be off that day. So I was working. And I didn't tell anyone it was my birthday until the end of the night. If I had said it to everyone, I would have gotten better tips.

Anyway, at about 6:30, The Honey walks in with two bags in his hands and I don't recognize either one of them. He'd bought me a cake (chocolate with fudge icing), a book of the best short fiction of 2005 and a box of truffles from Godiva. MMMMMMMM. So I got some really great gifts. My manager at work got me a happy birthday balloon and a bookmark. So all my gifts are useful this year.

Now, I know that gifts aren't a sign of how much someone loves me, but I enjoy well thought out gifts that show you know me. Anyway, if anyone still wants to get me a gift, a subscription to Glimmertrain would be awesome, either the short story collection or the Writers Ask... both would be useful. Just letting the world know. I'll prolly subscribe myself within the next couple of weeks. I like the fiction they come out with.

Then my sister showed up and she spent the night at the apartment, hung out with me, we talked... she's going to be 21 this year. YIKES! I can't believe it. My little sister is growing up. And she wants to be in her apartment by herself for that time. She loves her time. Anyway, she is a very mature and insightful person, if a bit boy crazy, but fortunately even that's not severe. Anyway, other than knocking down a glass fixture from the chandelier over the table which shattered and broke in my birthday cake, everything was perfect! And that was my day.

Happy Birthday to me.

PS. The Honey called me several times throughout the night and he would say, "Hey, birthday girl" and everytime he said it, I was more excited about my birthday. It was the best birthday ever!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!! I'm glad you had a nice day!

This Girl said...

thanks Lizzy

Anonymous said...

Best Birthday EVER???


Wooohoooo!

This Girl said...

heh heh... gloat all you want!

Anonymous said...

awww...

Hey, gifts aren't a sign of how much someone loves you? Wait'll I tell my wife about this!

This Girl said...

hey! don't get me in trouble with your wife! I'm talking about me!

Anonymous said...

I am glad you had a great Birthday, Angel. I love you.
Check your mailbox girl.