Thursday, August 23, 2007

Big Fat TV Nerd Part 3

Continuing my series of caring a little too much about television, I bring you last year's predictions for shows on NBC. As always (d)=drama, (c)=comedy, (r)=reality


(D) Heroes - "Heroes chronicle the lives of those [with supernatural ability] whose destiny just might be saving human kind. Stars Milo Ventimiglia (of Gilmore Girl fame). NOT CANCELLED because people always want more X:MEN.

(D) Friday Night Lights - Football story, like the movie, but every Tuesday (unless they change the schedule). I loved the movie, but will miss Billy Bob Thornton. NOT CANCELLED

(D) Kidnapped - A couple's 15 year old son is kidnapped. Shocking crime or business vendetta? Watch as the event unfold. Delroy Lindo, therefore NOT CANCELLED.

(C) Twenty Good Years - Old men live the rest of their lives to the fullest. John Lithgow and Jeffrey Tambor (George Bluth) so NOT CANCELLED, although networks didn't take too kindly to Arrested Development, so CANCELLED

(C) 30 Rock - Tina Fey is Dick Van Dyke. It's full of SNL alums and Alex Baldwin. CANCELLED, even though I think Tina Fey is funny.

(D) Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. Josh Lyman and Chandler Bing are Dick Van Dyke breaking new life into a sketch comedy series. I still think this is a drama though. Starring Matthew Perry, Bradley Whitford and Amanda Peet. This sounds like it has potential, but CANCELLED

I am glad that I was wrong about 30 Rock. It turned into one of the funniest sitcoms last season. And unfortunately, I was right about Studio 60, although we were two of like 10 people who loved the show. I was wrong about Kidnapped, although it was a very good show. It got a lot of critical acclaim, being MUCH better than Fox's Vanished which was basically the same premise. NBC finished the remaining episodes online, which was great for the fans, but I would have liked to see this show continue. The actors were simply fantastic.

This season, NBC is bringing a couple of shows I'm pretty interested in.

(D) Bionic Woman - A woman in a life threatening accident, a boyfriend who's a prosthetist...a bionic prosthetist who wants his girlfriend to live. A government who doesn't want the billions of dollars that is her new body to go to waste and Battlestar Galactica's Katee Sackhoff. NOT CANCELLED

(D) Journeyman - This guy travels through time and may have the ability to save the woman he once loved. But what does that mean for his current love life and is he going crazy and does this premise make sense or am I going crazy? Even though you can't dislike a series because they can't really explain the premise, you wonder if the difficulty in explaining it in simple terms will cause it to be cancelled. My guess? CANCELLED

(CD) Chuck - I remember a show called Scarecrow and Mrs. King. I loved that show. I miss that show. It looks like Chuck may be that show. Maybe not. A computer nerd sees everything that the government knows. I forget how. He hacked it, somebody else hacked it, it gets hacked and sent to him, whatever. But the government is after him...or they want to work with him. Whatever. Adam Baldwin (Jayne from Firefly) is in it. I'm watching, I don't know about you. However, CANCELLED in hopes of some Firefly specialness from Joss Whedon that Baldwin can return to.

(D) Life - A cop gets life for murder. But he's innocent. Gets out of jail. Becomes a cop again, even though he gets millions for being wrongfully imprisoned. Then he uses the skills he learned on "the inside" to help him solve cases on "the outside". Spooky? That's what I thought. NOT CANCELLED, although I also had high hopes for Raines, another of last season's cooky cop shows that bombed on NBC. Maybe because Raines could see dead people. Let's hope Life does better.

(DC) Lipstick Jungle - Brooke Shields is in this one. This is the one I don't think will do as well as Cashmere Mafia. I think this one has a simpler premise, but it shall be seen if this NBC drama will beat it's twin on ABC. CANCELLED


No comments: