Thursday, December 08, 2005

Europe in the Spring

I took 25 really hard. It started out well enough with a friend wishing me a happy quarter of a centery, but it seemed to go progressively downhill. Love life, friendships, spiritual journey, all seemed to go down a dirt road. In the middle of a thunderstorm. That threatened to turn into a flood. It was a horrible year. I realized that soon, another milestone year would happen and if time was on my side the same way it had been, it would be coming sooner than I wanted.

I wanted to be prepared for 30. I didn't want to dread it. I was going to be ready, going to blindside old age with preparedness. I was going to go to Europe. I would start saving money, look and listen out for deals, try to figure out the best time to go, the least of the touristy times where things were open, but not alot of people were around. It was a grand plan and I was going to go through with it. Well, once I figured out where I was going to move, and once I changed jobs, and, and, and.... I decided to move to California.

Then, This Girl and The Honey, sittin' in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g, first comes love, then comes marriage. That's it. No baby carriage and no Europe. Because in California, I don't find a steady job. I move back home and instead of carrying on footloose and fancy free, I get myself hitched so instead of being married at 33 like I expected, I get married at 28. Instead of going to Europe, I'll almost be 2 years married. Europe never stood a chance against The Honey.

Okay, 30, give me your best shot. I'm ready for you and I've got backup. I do, however, reserve the right to celebrate the Second Annual Twenty-Ninth Birthday.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, can you write about something else now?

Anonymous said...

At thirty years a woman asks her lover to give her back the esteem she has forfeited for his sake; she lives only for him, her thoughts are full of his future, he must have a great career, she bids him make it glorious; she can obey, entreat, command, humble herself, or rise in pride; times without number she brings comfort when a young girl can only make moan.

- Balzac

--

I remember the state you got yourself into when you reached 25. I'm glad you've mellowed some as you approach the big 3-0.

Anonymous said...

I still think we can do Europe! Youth Hostel! or VISA can help our dreams come true!

Anonymous said...

Don't forget MC!!! No, I mean Mastercard.

This Girl said...

Michael. No.

Kevin. Thanks.

Library Lizzy and Edicius. You payin'? *grin*