Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Merry Christmas

My husband hates people (bear with me). Well, he doesn't care if people like him. As a result, he does nothing at all to please others. He is wonderful to me because I am the love of his life. I like people. I want people to like me. I spent the six months we were engaged and the first half of our first year married (one full year) trying to convince people to love my husband as much as I do. He is abrupt and can come off as uncaring. However, anyone who takes the time will realize he's great and he will grow to like them... as long as they are not silly, empty headed twits. You take him as he is or not at all because he's not going to change for you. You can either love him or hate him, but it's completely up to you. When I realized this, I stopped trying to "get" people to like him, just let the chips fall as they may, because if he could handle it, then doggone it, I could too.

God is similar to my husband in some respects. He doesn't care how you view him, though he took the time to write down the type of person he is. He has given you free will and ultimate choice, yet he tells you the end result of those choices. He gives you the option to live your life any way you want... it's just that one way is life and the other way is death. I'm okay with letting God decide which is which. Many people look at God as abrupt and want to dislike him, to doubt that he is any good and to treat him the way they perceive he is treating them. But many who get to know him, who take the time to sort through the lies and their own personal feelings for or against him, find that he is either a kind "master" or a harsh "taskmaker" (or both) and then they choose to follow him anyway. Don't ask me why I did, but it's a long boring story if you do.

As I look at the debate between those who choose to accept Christ, those who accept the Christian religion, those who choose another religion, and those who choose nothing, we truly do see through a glass darkly. All of us are stumbling in the dark towards we don't know what. All of our teaching are clothed in mysteries. How can you be like the water, flowing around the rocks? How can you be totally sold out to Christ? Everything I believe is on faith, backed by my experiences following Christ, my conversations with him, my struggles with him. Now I see through a glass darkly, but then face to face. Then I will know as I am known. I don't need to keep defending God. Take him or leave him as he is. I don't need to keep proving to people how much I love him, how much he is in my life, because the people I need to prove him to, the people I defend him to, are the people who care the least about the actuality of God and are more intent on proving their rightness. If you can read the story of David in the old testament and reconcile his life with what God says of him, then you already know more about God than I can ever explain to you. And you are the kind of person I want to get to know better.

So this is for anyone who has anything to say about either my husband or God, even though you may never read this post. They are both awesome and the best things that have ever happened to me. And I wouldn't have one without the other, nor could I have understood one without the other. And that is the biggest blessing in my life, for which I thank Christ every day.

Yes, I know, strange, but it needed to be said.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

very strange indeed

Anonymous said...

Your husband is God?

Anonymous said...

insightful.